Paschimottanasana – Intense West Stretch or Sitting Forward Bend
(paschima – west uttana – intense stretch)
- Come to Dandasana (staff posture) by keeping legs forward, straight and spine, head, neck towards sky, by palms on ground beside hip.
- Along with inhalation gradually raise arms up, close to ears.
- Inhale lift spine up and arch it, exhale bend forward from hip, till your abdomen resting on your thighs, forehead on shin region.
- Grasp big toes by thumb, index, and middle finger, press elbow down on floor close to beside calf muscles.
- Both knees straight, parallel to each other, feet pointing upward, lengthen from lower back, and avoid round back.
- Back of legs contacting with floor.
- Stay for 10 to 20 seconds, by breathing evenly and deeply to awaken shusmna nadi.
- Inhale, come up from lower back, exhale arms down and relax.
- Stretch profoundly entire back side of spine, neck, thigh, and calf muscles.
- Activates abdominal organs, large and small intestine, remove its slugginess.
- Remove constipation, excessive abdominal fat.
- Strengthen respiratory, improve strength, stamina and endurance power.