Meditation and immunity: what’s the connection?
- Meditation has been found to have a positive effect on the immune system. The immune system is responsible for protecting the body against infection and disease, and research has shown that meditation can help boost the immune system’s ability to fight off infections and diseases.
- Meditation has been shown to have a positive effect on the body’s stress response, which can have a significant impact on the immune system. Chronic stress can weaken the immune system and make it more difficult for the body to fight off infections and diseases. Meditation has been found to reduce the production of cortisol, the stress hormone, and reduce inflammation in the body, which can help boost the immune system’s ability to fight off infections.
- Studies have also shown that meditation can increase the activity of natural killer cells, which are responsible for identifying and destroying cancer cells and virus-infected cells. This increased activity can help improve the body’s ability to fight off infections and diseases.
- Additionally, some studies have found that regular meditation practice can increase the production of antibodies, which are proteins that help the immune system identify and neutralize harmful pathogens.
- Overall, the connection between meditation and immunity is clear. By reducing stress and inflammation and increasing immune system function, meditation can have a significant impact on overall health and wellbeing.