Jala neti preparations
- First of all, take a neti pot with nozzle that can be easily inserted into the nostril.
- One teaspoon of salt may be added into half litre of lukewarm water.
- Now, fill the neti pot with this water.
How to do Jala Neti
- The simple steps and technique of performing Jala neti are being given below:
- First of all sit in squat or standing having 1 foot distance between legs.
- Lean forward from the lower back.
- Tilt the head to the opposite side of the nostril whichever is more active at the moment.
- Insert the nozzle of the pot into the nostril which is active at that moment.
- Open your mouth throughout the neti process and try to breathe through it.
- Let the water flow in through one nostril and out through the other nostril.
- After finishing half of the water of the Neti pot, put it down and clear your nostril.
- The same thing should start from other side.
- After finishing from both side, do forceful exhalation from both the nostrils in all the directions i.e. left & right, top & bottom.
Benefits of Jala Neti
- Daily practice helps maintain the nasal hygiene by removing the dirt and bacteria trapped along with the mucus in the nostrils.
- It soothes the sensitive tissues inside the nose, which can assuage a bout of rhinitis or allergies.
- It is beneficial in dealing with asthmatic conditions and making breathing easier.
- It reduces tinnitus and middle ear infections.
- It helps abate sinusitis or migraine attack.
- It can alleviate upper respiratory complaints like sore throats, tonsils, and dry coughs.
- It can clear the eye ducts and improve vision.
- Clearing of nasal passages helps improve the sense of smell and thereby improves digestion.
- It calms the nervous system and the mind. It also helps relieve stress and brings clarity to the mind.
- People have experienced a reduction in their anger by practicing Jal Neti regularly.
- It helps improve the quality of your meditation.
- Jala Neti goes beyond nasal cleansing and helps in aligning your body, mind, and soul. Hence, it should be practiced daily and not only when one has a nasal blockage or cold.
Jala Neti precautions
- The nose should be dried properly after the process.
- People with high blood pressure should be careful during this part. If one feels dizzy while drying the nose, then it should be done standing upright.
- Take care that you do not leave any water in the nasal passages as it might cause an infection.
- Like any other yogic practice, learn it from an expert practitioner.