Jala neti kriya, Procedure and Benefits
Jala neti is a nasal irrigation technique that involves using a saline solution to clean the nasal passages. It is a part of Hatha Yoga practices and is believed to have various physical and mental health benefits. Here’s a brief on the procedure and benefits of jala neti:
- Fill a neti pot with warm water (distilled or boiled) and add a teaspoon of non-iodized salt.
- Stand over a sink or in the shower with your head tilted to one side.
- Insert the spout of the neti pot into the upper nostril.
- Tilt the neti pot so that the saline solution flows through the nasal passage and comes out from the other nostril.
- Blow your nose to remove any remaining water.
- Repeat the process on the other side by tilting your head to the opposite side.
- Clears nasal passages: Jala neti is a natural and effective way to clean the nasal passages, removing dirt, dust, and pollen that can cause allergies and sinus infections. It also helps to remove excess mucus and ease breathing.
- Improves concentration: Jala neti is believed to help improve concentration and mental clarity by increasing oxygen flow to the brain.
- Reduces snoring: By clearing nasal passages and reducing inflammation, jala neti may help reduce snoring.
- Relieves headaches: Jala neti can help relieve headaches caused by sinusitis or other nasal problems.
- Promotes healthy sinuses: Regular practice of jala neti is believed to promote healthy sinuses and reduce the risk of sinus infections.
- Enhances sense of smell: By clearing the nasal passages, jala neti may help enhance the sense of smell.
- However, it is important to practice jala neti safely and correctly to avoid any adverse effects. People with nasal or sinus conditions should consult a healthcare provider before trying jala neti. Additionally, it is important to use sterile water and clean the neti pot thoroughly after each use to avoid infections.