Enquiring new students is an important aspect of teaching yoga as it helps the instructor understand the student’s needs and abilities. Here are six questions that an instructor can ask a new student to gain a better understanding of their practice:
- What is your previous experience with yoga? This will help the instructor to understand if the student is a beginner or has some experience with yoga.
- Do you have any injuries or physical limitations? It is important to know if the student has any injuries or physical limitations that may affect their practice so that appropriate modifications can be made.
- What are your fitness goals? Understanding the student’s goals will help the instructor to tailor the class to their needs.
- What areas of your body do you want to work on? This will help the instructor understand the student’s focus areas and provide targeted guidance.
- Are you comfortable with hands-on adjustments? It is important to know if the student is comfortable with physical adjustments or prefers verbal cues.
- Is there anything else you would like me to know? This question gives the student an opportunity to share any additional information that may be relevant to their practice.
By asking these questions, an instructor can create a safe and supportive environment for new students and tailor their instruction to their needs and goals.